This time, in Qatar, the two former champions find themselves still waiting to qualify for the Round of 16, with just one round of matches left to play. While Argentina, thanks to a 2-0 win vs Mexico, managed to get their campaign back on track, despite a big stutter in their opening game, four time champions Germany are struggling big time. Dieter Flick‘s team are currently in the last spot in Group E, behind Spain, Japan and Costa Rica. The Germans were expected to comfortably be in the top two of this group, but are yet to win a match after two outings. Incidentally, in Russia 2018, Germany, who were the defending champions, had finished last in their group.
Germany so far in Qatar 2022:
Germany were defeated 2-1 by Japan in what was one of the bigger upsets of the World Cup. They were then held 1-1 by 2010 champions, Spain. That has left them with just 1 point after 2 games and with a dismal goal difference of -1.
Next up for Germany:
Germany play their last game vs Costa Rica on Saturday morning (12:30 AM IST). And this will of course be a do or die match for the 4 time champions and the joint second most successful team in the history of the tournament.
The other teams in Group E:
This group has Spain currently as the toppers, with 4 points after 2 games – 1 win and 1 draw. In second place is Japan, with 3 points in 2 games – 1 win and 1 loss. In third place is Costa Rica, who also have 3 points – 1 win and 1 loss and are behind Japan on goal difference. Spain hammered as many as 7 goals past the Costa Ricans, which has left them with a goal difference of -6.
The last round of matches in this group will see Japan take on Spain, while Germany will play Costa Rica. Both matches of course will kick-off at the same time on Saturday morning (12:30 AM IST).
What Germany need to do:
1. Beat Costa Rica, hopefully with a healthy scoreline – That will take the Germans to 4 points and better their goal difference which currently stands at -1. Costa Rica, in this scenario, will remain on 3 points and fall behind Germany.
2. Hope that Spain beat Japan – That will take Spain to 7 points and keep Japan on 3 points. The Spanish just need a draw in their last match to qualify for the Round of 16, but a win will ensure the Japanese fall behind Germany (provided Germany beat Costa Rica)
What Germany will be hoping doesn’t happen:
1. Japan beating Spain – In this scenario, the Japanese will go to the top of Group E, with 6 points. Spain have a very healthy goal difference of 7 and Germany will have to overturn this if they are to qualify in this scenario. With a current GD of -1, that is next to impossible for them to do, especially on current form.
2. Draw with Costa Rica – In this scenario, Germany will be knocked out since they will only get to 2 points.
Argentina so far in Qatar 2022:
The Albiceleste began their campaign at Qatar 2022 with a shock 1-2 defeat against the lowest ranked team in their group – Saudi Arabia. They then managed to resurrect their campaign with a win against Mexico, that also saw Lionel Messi score his second goal of the tournament and become the first man to get on the assists sheet in 5 World Cups.
Next up for Argentina:
Messi and co. take on Poland on Thursday morning (12:30 AM IST). In 11 matches played between these two sides so far, Argentina have won 6, lost 3 and drawn 2.
The other teams in Group E:
Compared to Germany, Argentina are in a much more comfortable position as of now. They are currently second in Group C, behind Poland. And are ahead of Saudi Arabia and Mexico.
Poland, the current group toppers have 4 points – 1 win and 1 draw. Their goal difference stands at 2. In third place is Saudi Arabia with 3 points – 1 win and 1 loss and a GD of -1. The Mexicans are currently last in this group with 1 point – 1 draw and 1 loss and a GD of -2
The last round of matches in this group will see Argentina take on Poland and Saudi Arabia go toe to toe with Mexico. Both game swill kick-off at the same time (12:30 AM IST on Thursday morning)
What Argentina need to do:
Beat Poland – This will take Argentina to 6 points and they will enter the Round of 16, irrespective of goal difference. Poland will stay on 4 points. Only Saudi Arabia can then get to 6 points (with a win vs Mexico)
What Argentina will be hoping doesn’t happen:
1. Lose to Poland – This will see Argentina stay on 3 points, while the Polish will go to 7 points and romp into the Round of 16. In this scenario Messi and co. will be eliminated, regardless of what the outcome of the Saudi Arabia vs Mexico match is, since a win for the Saudis will take them to 6 points and they will qualify alongwith Poland. A win for Mexico meanwhile will take them to 4 points and they will enter the Round of 16, alongside Poland
2. Draw with Poland – This scenario will see Argentina get to 4 points and Poland will reach 5 points. In this scenario, Argentina will be hoping that Mexico beat Saudi Arabia. If that happens then Mexico and Argentina will both be on 4 points and goal difference will come into the picture. In this scenario Poland will qualify and between Argentina or Mexico (if they beat Saudi Arabia), whoever has the better goal difference will go through as the second team from Group C. If Saudi Arabia beat Mexico however, they will top the group and qualify with Poland, while Argentina will be eliminated.